Most students will have some reading homework each night.
- Read text out loud at same time as child – this can help build confidence while reading, or even just get the child started. Slowly fade out and let your child continue on.
- Read in turns – take a sentence/paragraph each. This again helps to entice the child to read while also the parent is modelling reading, stopping at full stops, using expression.
- Choose a word on the page to mime. Your child must guess the word and find it on the page. Let your child choose a word to mime too – this is a fun activity.
- Describe a word on the page – ‘this word means...’ and your child must again find the word on the page. Allow your child to describe a word too. This builds vocabulary and comprehension.
- Act out the story as your child reads each sentence. Again this increases engagement and adds a fun element to reading.