Skip to content
- Choosing the right school bag for starting school is a minefield! Here are some tips:
- The bags must be big enough to comfortably fit an A3 ziplock wallet for books, copies, worksheets etc.
- A decent sized lunch box must also for it.
- Make sure there is netting on the side to howls a drinks bottle. If the bottle leaks, the books won’t be destroyed.
- Straps – make sure they are padded for comfort and adjustable.
- Avoid bags on wheels – they are so clunky and awkward to manage in the classroom.
- Go for good quality that will last. Just be mindful that it’s not too heavy for a Junior Infant child to carry on their back.
- Recommended from parents in order of popularity:
- Ridge 53 (long lasting), Jansport (lifetime guarantee), Homestore And More Bags (strong and great value), M&S Bags, DUC bags, Disney, Mr Price, TK Maxx, Dunnes Stores schoolbags, Sporthouse bags, Under Armour, Adidas, Nike, Frugi, Totto, GAP, Cath Kidson, Babymel, Soda Sqaud
- Smiggle – mixed reviews – they look amazing but not durable. Might be a good choice if you like to buy a new bag each year.